San Francisco Comic-ConSM presents, in association with San Francisco Comics Fest, SAM, Storytelling Across Media, a one-day symposium for aspiring writers and artists, as well as professionals, interested in the art of storytelling. This event will be held on Saturday, November 5, at the Marriott Marquis Hotel, 780 Mission Street in downtown San Francisco, from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Admission is FREE, but online registration is encouraged. Seating in all symposium events is limited.
SAM is not your traditional comics convention. There is no Exhibit Hall or Autograph Area. SAM is all about storytelling, through a series of talks and workshops about how to tell a story in various media, including comics, gaming, animation, movies, and more. It explores the similarities and differences in telling stories through different media and focuses on the craft of telling a story through creator lectures and workshops. Special guests for this event are graphic novel creator Thi Bui (The Best We Could Do), and comics creator/animation artist Stephan Franck (Silver). We regret to announce writer Rick Remender will not be able to attend SAM as originally announced.
SAM’s schedule of programs (subject to change) include:
- Bay Area Comics & Illustration History
- Parent and Child Class
- Diversity and Representation in Storytelling
- Cartooning 101 and Cartooning 102
- Spotlight on Thi Bui
- Spotlight on Stephan Franck
- Interactive Design with Telltale Games
- Storytelling for Game Development
- Storytelling in Editorial Cartooning
- Comics and VR Storytelling
- Storytelling and Queer Identity
- Dynamic Comics Readings
The SAM event is the culmination of San Francisco Comics Fest, a celebration of comics culture past, present, and future, with a commitment to its community’s history, influence, and education. Festival events—including workshops, signings, and talks—start Wednesday, November 2 and will be held in locations across the Bay Area. For more information on San Francisco Comics Fest, please click here.
San Francisco Comic-Con is part of the San Diego Comic Convention family of events. SDCC is a nonprofit educational corporation dedicated to creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular artforms, primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture.
- WHO: SAM: Storytelling Across Media
- WHAT: A one-day symposium devoted to talks and workshops about storytelling in various forms of media. Part of San Francisco Comics Fest.
- WHEN: Saturday, November 5, 11:00 AM–6:00 PM
- WHERE: Marriott Marquis Hotel, 780 Mission St., San Francisco, CA, 94103
- ADMISSION: Free; online advance registration is encouraged. Seating is limited.
SAM Storytelling Across Media is sponsored by San Diego Comic Convention. San Francisco Comic-Con is a trademark of San Diego Comic Convention. Comic-Con is a registered trademark of San Diego Comic Convention.