SuperVolunteer Series Volume 1
In early June, we issued a challenge to our daily and department volunteers registered for Comic-Con 2020 to find a non-profit in their community and spend some time volunteering there. We are happy to report that many of our volunteers accepted the challenge! They were asked to email us a photo or two and a little bit about the experience to earn a "SuperVolunteer" badge. Starting today, we'll be highlighting some of them in a series every Tuesday and Thursday leading up to Comic-Con@Home. We are so proud of their efforts and know that Comic-Con volunteers are truly dedicated to making the world a better place.
Chioma I., Valley Center, CA (Daily Volunteer):
Hello everyone!! My name is Chioma and I help out at 2 food banks! Chollas View Church Food Bank and St. Paul Church Food Bank. I help set out the food bags and I give them out to people.
Sue (Director of Volunteer Services) says: Chioma looks like she's having fun and she's making a difference in people's lives! Thanks, Chioma!
Wendy W., El Cajon, CA (Department Volunteer):
I volunteer for East County Animal Rescue, a no-kill facility. Some of the rescues have been there over 10 years and enjoy contact with us! I always leave there feeling loved and that I have made a difference in these creature's lives.
Sue says: That's terrific, Wendy! I'm a cat person myself (I have two that I got from SD Humane Society). I love all animals and volunteering at an animal rescue is a great service. That is a beautiful cat in the photo.
Betsy W., Wasilla, Alaska (Daily Volunteer):
- I am a Lifetime Member of the Wasilla Senior Center and help with projects year-round. They are a great non-profit that help many seniors in our community.
- I purchased $500 worth of Girl Scout cookies to give to the seniors that live in senior housing.
- I was able to get masks donated by the Kabayan Filipino Community Group for seniors.
- I got my adult son to talk to the nursery where he works and they donated lots of flowers and vegetable starts for the seniors.
- The next fundraiser is a virtual 5K which I will be supporting.
Sue says: This is awesome! Seniors were particularly hard hit during the pandemic. Thank you for your service to them, Betsy and son!!
That's all for now! Stay tuned for volume 2!