2015 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Nominees
Each year Comic-Con International honors retailers from around the globe with the Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award, named after the visionary creator of The Spirit. When Will approached Comic-Con about initiating the award in the early 1990s, he wanted it as a way to acknowledge the important role that comics retailers play in the industry, nurturing the relationship between creators and their readers. The comic book retailer provides that vital link in getting the work from the creators and publishers to the public. Will recognized the importance of that link, and Comic-Con continues to recognize it over 20 years after Will’s original idea.
The Award is given out yearly to retailers who have done an outstanding job of supporting the comics medium both in the industry at large and in their local community. Comics fans around the world have the opportunity to nominate their favorite stores via the Comic-Con International website.
This year’s nominee list includes 31 comic retail stores from across the United States, plus Canada, the United Kingdom, Argentina, Australia, Czech Republic, and Israel. The finalists will be announced during the week of Comic-Con on our website, after the judges meet in San Diego. The recipient of this year’s award will be announced as part of the 27th annual Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards on Friday, July 10, starting at 8:00 PM at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront hotel.
This year’s nominees are:
Arcadian Comics & Games
Stephen Struharik, Newport, KY
Aw Yeah Comics!
Art Baltazar, Franco Aureliani, Marc Hammond, Skokie, IL
Big Red Comics
Robert Quinn, Orange, CA
Collected Comics & Games: TCU
Brent Erwin & Ron Killingworth, Fort Worth, TX
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Randy Myers Jr., Baltimore, MD
The Comic Bug
Jun Goeku & Mike Wellman, Manhattan Beach, CA
Ryan Seymore, Columbus, OH
Martin Buchal, Prague, Czech Republic
Owen Roberts, Michael Petrusich and Andrew Frith, Perth, Western Australia
Ori Ayalon and Jacob Sareli, Tel Aviv, Israel
Pete Kilmer, Doug Stephenson, Mike Costello, Indianapolis, IN
Drawn to Comics
Ken and Susan Brown, Glendale, AZ
Matthew Klokel, David Bishop and Esther Kim, Washington, DC
Brahm Wiseman, London, Ontario, Canada
George & Destiny Chase, Ventura, CA
I.E. Comics & Games
Jamie & Erin Sullivan, Hemet, CA
Martin & Donna Tye, Canberra, Australia
Jay’s CD and Hobby
Jason Shreve, Des Moines, IA
Jesse James Comics
Jesse James, Glendale, AZ
La Revisteria Comics
Jardiel SA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gerry Gladston, Thomas Galitos, Angelo Chantly, Rob Mileta, and Leo Collazo, New York, NY
Mission: Comics & Art
Leef Smith, San Francisco, CA
Jamie Colegrove and Teresa Colegrove, Hilliard, OH
Colin McMahon, McMurray, PA
A Shop Called Quest
Lee Raymundo, Claremont, CA
Space Cadets Collection Collection
Jen King, Oak Ridge North, TX
Time Warp Comics and Games
Wayne Winsett, Boulder, CO
Nabil Homsi, Leeds, United Kingdom
Anita Coulter, Berkeley, CA
Michael Cholak, San Diego, CA
GUIDELINES for nomination include:
- Any retail store established in business for at least two years is eligible to be nominated.
- Anyone—retailers, professionals, fans—may place a name in nomination.
- A panel of industry judges selects a group of finalists to be subjected to an in-depth examination based on the award criteria. Recipient will be announced as part of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards at Comic-Con International on Friday, July 10, 2015.
- Previous winners are not eligible for nomination.
CRITERIA for judging include:
- Supporting a wide variety of innovative material.
- Providing opportunities for creators’ material to reach buyers; stocking a diverse inventory.
- Knowledge: Working to stay informed on retailing as well as on the comics field.
- Community activity: Promoting comics to the community; maintaining relationships with schools and libraries; keeping active in social, business, and arts community organizations.
- Quality of store image: Using innovative display approaches; using store design creatively.
- Adhering to standard ethical business practices.